My second all-grain brew is complete! And in record time. With the addition of the burner and actually being able to connect a hose to my wort chiller rather than hold it to the faucet with a towel, I cut almost two hours off my previous brew on the gas stove. Now I can spend more time on these posts.
Here’s the summary of the Cascade IPA recipe from Brew & Grow set up on Brewer’s Friend.
There was a lot of smoke coming off the burner as a bunch of paint flaked off under the heat. There was a lot of wind affecting the burner, so I needed to build a makeshift wall to help it out a bit. Next time, I might build a shroud out of sheet metal to set around the burner to help out.
So I heated 6 gallons of water for the mash to 175 for the mash and compensating for not preheating my mash tun. Unfortunately, once I added in the grain, I overshot my mash temp by about six degrees. So I added in about half a gallon of room temp water and brought it right on the 150 mark.
Before I mashed out, I heated up the remaining 1.5 gallons of water to near-boiling temp. I added it at the end of the hour mash and began to drain the tun. The wire around my brew bag is there to hold it up when I pour in water.
It was nice to actually hook the hose up to the chiller. I felt it worked faster at cooling the wort and used less water. I collected about 7 gallons of the water to use for cleaning, and had the rest run into the garden. Constant stirring of the chiller helped speed up the process. It took maybe 10 minutes to cool it which was much faster than any other brew that I have done.
With everything cooled, I transferred the wort into my fermentor. With so much hops, there was I visible layer of hop chunks below the surface that continued to settle during the transfer. I wasn’t too picky about what went into the fermenter so I didn’t try to filter this time around. I usually pour my wort through a strainer, but it clogged up almost immediately when I tried this time.
Before I added the yeast, I took my OG reading. I got a bunch of gunk in the hydrometer but I still gave me a 1.052. That was about .002 below my target, but at least I was in the ballpark unlike my last beer.
I’ll add some progress posts in the coming days.